Wednesday, October 23, 2013

La Cueva de Las Manos - Part 5: LCDLM In Review and The Making of a Man (Magic)

I'ma let you finish, but...

This is the story of my adventure to La Cuevas de Las Manos (The Cave (bum bum BUUUMMM) of Hands). So much to say. Where to begin.

After writing this post, it was so long I knew I'd probably give some a hatred aneurysm, so I cut it into several pieces.

Part 5: Confidence and A Beautiful Experience

I'll make this pretty quick. This blog post was so long I split it into 5 pieces so I'm sure you're tired of reading about it.

La Cuevas de las Manos and the trip to and from were both amazing, both equally and differently. The cave itself was incredible. Really a beautiful experience. These drawings, done how many ever thousands of years again, have stood up to any number of the elements, including some of the strongest wind on the planet*. These humans, this early us, left their mark on this world, on our planet, us to them, reaching through the rock, their paintings, through time, to touch us, regardless of skin, hair, teeth, religion. They didn't care. They said "Here, our hands. Reach and touch us. We cannot stay and you cannot take us with you. But we are here forever. Our lives." I cannot say I felt any big religious overthrow in my bowels or feel any closer to humanity, God, or Jesus. I had built it up too much in my head for that. And maybe that wasn't the point.

As for the trip itself, every step of the way, I did myself**. Figuring out exactly where TCOH was after only reading a bit about it a few months before going. Finding/booking the flights. Renting the car. Driving in Argentina with no GPS and a joke of a map. Staying in a place that has versions of modern conveniences but is certainly not what I'm used to. Driving to TCOH, across gravel, dirt, and danger. And finally seeing it. Sitting there. Looking. And the return. I know it doesn't sound like much, but for me, it was huge. And important.

You can't buy that kind of experience. Irreplaceable. You have to go out and do it. You'll be so much better for it. And I did it.

Love you all,
B

*Try kicking a field goal here. You'd have to kick in the opposite direction.

**Again, recognizing my grand fortune and socioeconomic circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment