Tuesday, October 22, 2013

La Cueva de Las Manos - Part 4: I mean, there is a cave, but (Brennan messes up magic tricks)

I'ma let you finish, but...

This is the story of my adventure to La Cuevas de Las Manos (The Cave (bum bum BUUUMMM) of Hands). So much to say. Where to begin.

After writing this post, it was so long I knew I'd probably give some a hatred aneurysm, so I cut it into several pieces.

Part 4: A New Hope... nah, I kid: THE CAVE, and THIS TIME, it's not a shitty movie

When last we saw The Lone Ranger, he had completed his drive to La Cueva de Las Manos. I arrived at 12:15 and the next tour was at 1. I hung out in the cabin I was supposed to hang out in, wondering if my little 3 door ninja could make the return trip back to Perito Moreno and reading all the information they had up in the cabin about the cave. Again, in Spanish and English. So that helped. I found a mistake or 2 in the English here hee. Always fun.

So we get going. The tour is, of course, in Spanish, so I understand some, especially because the guide (guia touristica) spoke a lot with her hands. Very helpful. We walk out of the side of the cabin and along a travel part way down in a valley. This by itself is beautiful. Absolutely marvelous. Reminds me of The Grand Canyon, which I've never seen, but, you know, Murica.

Time to pause for a second: I'm not sure how many years ago it was, but Argentina made a big deal/project out of this park, or at least the paintings. I'm very proud of them. They created the roads to get down here, the awful but passable gravel/dirt access roads, the cabins for tours and to house the tour guides/workers, but the stairs and handrails to help you walk/not fall to your death down the side of hill into the bottom of the gorge, and put up protective fence to protect assholes from touching the paintings. Good job, Argentina. This site is important to both your country and the entire world. Where we came from. Our beginnings. Just, incredible. EXCEPT FOR THE FREAKING WEBSITE, THE EASIEST PART. I'll eventually let this go.

I'm in a group of I think about 8 of us (tour guide included). A family of 4 I think, if I remember correctly. It appears to be maybe 2 brothers, a woman (relationship unknown), and a mother/abuela. The two brothers would stop and get photos at every place we stopped on the tour, and sometimes in between. It was dorky but cute. There was also an Argentine couple that was driving from Buenos Aires to the south of Argentina, including crossing the country west to east, then returning by car. WHEW a long trip. The 7th and 8th persons are, of course, myself and the tour guide.

We walked through this canyon, halfway up the hill, the highest part you could possibly walk before the rockfaces begin and you can't literally go any hire without ropes or ridiculous jumping ability. We come to the first section where there are drawings and paintings of mostly hands and various other things, like animals or human like figures. THIS is where the cave is. It's one cave, not that deep (profundo) with some drawings inside, mainly on the right. There are far more paintings on the actual canyon walls as you walk along. The tour guide explains in Spanish while I don't pay attention. I help the family take photos and they return the favor and get some of me.

Note: I sort of mentioned it earlier, but anywhere there are drawings that you can touch, there is a fence separating you from them. It was really disappointing to have come all this way and not be able to get up close and personal with some ancient hand drawings, but I understand why they're there. Cuz people are assholes and would fuck them up. Hell, some people don't wait (I'm referring to the Banksy works and some of their defacings in the month of October 2013). The folks there even built a staircase up to a part where recent humans had fucked up a few of the drawings just to show you why they had to protect the rest. Made sense. And I think somewhere some asshole wrote his name. I am not sure I got a photo. I hope I didn't cuz fuck that guy.

So we walk along and, it's not continuous, but every little bit there are more and more drawings. It's fabulous. Really, really stupendous. I loved it. I got copious (or at least generous) amounts of photos. And the valley view really complimented the entire experience. Both were equally beautiful.

So we go to the end which overlooks the kind of cul-de-sac over the valley. We return, I hang out briefly, and then I got back in my car to begin the uneventful trip back.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the pit-bull puppy. One of the workers there had a 6 month old male pit pup. He was ADORABLE. I was sitting down and he jumped up and put his paws on my knees and licked me in the face. Loved it.

And that's all she wrote, for now. Be on the look for Part 5: A Final Overall Review of La Cueva de La Manos.

No comments:

Post a Comment